I don’t know about you but I have been getting a little more serious about doing my part to help save the planet. The scale of the challenges facing our planet can seem daunting, but we can all do something and protecting our planet starts with each and every one of us. With that in mind, I thought I would try to make our Christmas stockings a little more sustainable this year. While doing some shopping for my family, I came up with this list of 20 sustainable stocking stuffers.
When looking for gifts I always try to look local first and usually a local artisan if possible. Why shop at a big box store when you can make a local maker’s life that much better. It also reduces your carbon footprint. However, most of the stuff I mention are available in stores like Net Zero Co., Terra 20 and of course Amazon. But, a good place to look first is on Etsy.
1.Bulk Candy: This is a fun stocking stuffer. Grab a reusable jar or compostable bag and fill it with their favorite candy!
2. Bamboo Toothbrush: They are compostable and you can even get them with different coloured bristles so you always know which one is yours.
3. Natural Deodorant: Find a local artisan that makes deodorant as they will have less chemicals and they usually take the container back to reuse.
4. Eco-Friendly Phone Case: You can now get cases that have been recycled, are compostable, made of wood, bamboo or cork. I found this post with 30 different options for you.
5. Tea: Know a tea lover? Loose leaf tea is a perfect plastic free treat to place in someone’s stocking, don’t forget to include a tea strainer.
6. To-Go Utensil Set: Luckily, there are a few options out there now and are the perfect thing to stuff in your bag when you’re headed out the door to reduce waste, but it’s also the perfect thing to stuff in a stocking.
7. Reusable Straws: You may get one of these in a to-go utensil set but it is always great to have a full set on hand at home (make sure they come with a brush to clean them).
8. Fabric Produce Bags: Produce bags are perfect to stuff in anyone’s stocking. They are usually super thin and perforated so the check-out cashier can easily see what produce is inside.
9. Silicone Bags: These are great for people who are sick of plastic baggies and/or need something that is compact enough to fit in their purse/bag for take-out or leftovers.
10. Shampoo Bar: Ditch the liquid shampoo bottles and grab a shampoo bar! So much less waste.
11. Gift Cards: Gift cards are always a great thing to slip into a stocking. Gift cards for a favorite restaurant, an activity or eBook.
12. Donate: A great gift that keeps on giving is to donate to a charity the person is particularly passionate about.
13. Water Bottle: An insulated water bottle is always handy and you can never really have too many as they always seem to go missing when you need one.
14. Insulated Cup: Perfect for a daily coffee or tea habit.
15. Maison Jar Drink Lid: If you prefer glass and want to use what you have at home, you can now purchase a drink lid for mason jars and turn it into a to-go cup.
16. Cozy Socks: Find someone who makes hand knit socks and an extra bonus if you can find someone who uses recycled yarn.
17. Handkerchief: Find yourself some handkerchiefs (I see them frequently at thrift shops) then personalize them with embroidery, you could even stitch in their initial.
18. Seeds: Have a friend who is into gardening? Stuff their stocking with some heirloom seeds so they are ready for when the ground thaws.
19. Reusable Batteries: Everyone always needs batteries so why not encourage them to start using reusable ones.
20. Reusable Razors: Did you know that traditional plastic razors are virtually impossible to recycle? With a reusable razor the only thing you need to replace is the blade.
These are just a few of the many possibilities out there. When wrapping these up don’t forget to use kraft paper, newsprint or cloth bags if possible as wrapping paper isn’t recyclable.
I hope this list helps you with your Christmas shopping this year. Have an amazing holiday season!!